Dancing with Donald, James and …
Our little valley had few recreational attractions- no bowling alleys, theaters, swimming pools, not even a pool hall. (People in a farm town didn't have a lot of time for playing anyway). We did, however, have a Recreation Hall. Church buildings today are built with a recreation room (a gym), but when I was growing up, small towns and valleys had a separate building to hold community events and activities. One event that was held fairly often was – a Dance.
Dances were held for most holidays. There was a dance every night between Christmas and New Years and that was a major way for us to celebrate the holidays.
The music for the dances were provided from live orchestras. Sometimes it would be a homespun orchestra- just made up of people in the town who could play an instrument coming together to make beautiful music. Sometimes the dances would be accompanied by a traveling dance orchestra. One that I remember and really liked, was the 'Sam Chedestar Orchestra' from Wayne County. Sam was an excellent violinist and that is what made it so melodious.
When I think of those old days, I often think of Lincoln Nielsen. Lincoln loved to dance and was every bit as good as the BYU Ballroom dancers of today. Not too many girls could dance with him, because he has such long legs and would take such big steps. Belinda could dance with him though, and the two of them would glide smoothly around the dance floor. And that is the way I will always remember him, for a few years later our town received the tragic news that Lincoln died as a soldier in World War II.
I have good memories of our town dances. I, along with the other girls would stand together around the big heater and wait the the boys to ask us to dance. One boy that I was always assured to have a dance with was James. James was a very nice young man, and one of the most intelligent in town. He did, however, have kind of a different personality. Maybe because he was being raised by 3 mothers, his mother was divorced and they lived with two of her sisters who had never married. He spoke in a monotone voice and didn't have much "sex appeal" (as we used to say).
One time I danced with Donald. He was a nice young man who came from a large hard working family. He had about 10 siblings and they milked many cows. When our dance together was finished he was a gentlemen and escorted me back and I thanked him for the dance. Something wasn't right though, I could smell my hands. They smelled like cows! I was “udderly” stunned and I realized Donald hadn't washed his hands after milking the cows and before coming to the dance. Many years later, I saw Donald at a funeral that I attended. We visited about old times and then shook hands and said good-bye. Again, I could smell my hands. This time they smelled like cologne and I thought to myself, “Oh Donald, you still don't wash your hands!”
oh, that was such fun to read! what a great treasure. I love grandma's stories.
ReplyDeleteThis comment is for all of Mom's recent posts:
ReplyDeleteSo fun! I love Grandma's stories.
Mom, I LOVE the blanket you made! I feel so honored to be the first to receive on of your Sunbonnet Sue blankets. I think baby H is excited too, because she is doing all kinds of kicks and flips right now.
Zavian and Grandpa have such a fun relationship. What a lucky little guy to live so close to you guys. And that Jensie is a little doll! She is getting so big already, and I love her blue eyes!
Thanks for updating us Mom. It's so fun to hear whats going on with you guys, especially your adventures as empty-nesters.
Thanks for taking the time to share this. I love grandma's stories! Keep them comming!!
ReplyDeleteGrandma is such a good writer, and it is so fun for me to read these stories. I hope there will be more! Thanks Mom for taking the time to post, it is so exciting to see whats going on. Thank you!
ReplyDelete