Sunday, November 6, 2011

I'm seein my father in me (or at least in my catch prases).

Hey, I found this old post in the drafts pile... Its from a few months ago but its still applicable so I will share it anyway.

I have had so many crazy experiences up here in the 49th state, I am sorry I have not been a faithful blogger, or caller... or e-mailer.......or even facebooker. But!(if you buy 5 compleatos.... ha ha just kidding) but that does not mean I haven't been thinking of you every day. It has become apparent to me that I am who I am because of my family, I never realized how much influence you all have had on my life, personality, and habits. One way that has manifested itself is the way I use "dad phrases" on a daily basis. Its like hiccups, or maybe a reflex reaction. Like when you go to the doctor and they hit your knee with a rubber mallet (or does that only happen in movies?). When someone askes; "did you get a hair cut?" I reply, " ya, a few of them." when some one says "guess what!" reply with, "an elephant stepped on your toe?" "Bless you" "I am blessed" "what er you doin? standin on your head spittin' quarters?" etc. etc. (I guess the only one that is not really applicable to me is, "hurry up, we're burnin daylight." with 23 hours of daylight each day- I think there is a little to spare). Even when I don't say them out loud, they just pop into my head before even have time to think about it. I even had the urge to watch a western the other day. Mignon told me one time that if I want to make friends I have to stop telling 'dad' jokes. Well, that has gotten worse too, as you could probably tell with the 'apparently' word play. Hailey can attest to it, I have become down right punny.
Some of these phases have become very useful, and very dear to me. Like when I walk out the door to work in the morning, I hear dad telling me to make a great day, and then I hear him ask if I said my morning prayer. When I say my morning prayer, I pray for enthusiasm, because that is what my dad prays for. While at work if I find myself moving a little slow, I imagine my dad walking in through the door and it scares the heebee jeebees out of me, right back into working; just like at home! Words like: attitude, effectiveness, sinue, and enthusiasm roll through my head and shape my thinking, just like Dad intended them to. Thank you Dad, thank you so much. You and Mom are the best parents in the world. I hear Moms voice too, she tells me to make sure my plate has all different colors on it, so I can have a variety of vitamins. She tells me to fold up my clothes and put them in my drawer when I am done with the laundry. She tells me to bite my toung when if I am tempted to speak ill of another, and to pray for the people that I have a hard time getting along with. She even tells me to work on my personal progress and that is where I have to tell the little mom in my head, "I finished that already!"
I love every single one of you more than ever! you guys are so amazing and I don't know how I have been so lucky to have you as my family. Sorry this was long, with bad grammar. Thanks again everybody!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry Mikee, I think I'm the only one that looks at this these days.. Text everyone to tell them to look at it! I loved this. You took the words right out of my mouth. Example: I leaned over to Jake during the hymn last week singing, "..with parents kind of dear!" How did Mom and Dad do that? They somehow figured out how to be inside out heads and teach us even when they aren't really there. This is why none of us really rebelled. How could we? Mom and Dad were always there... watching. I need to figure out how they did that.

    ReplyDelete