The other night our "additional RS meeting" (did you know that is what home-making/enrichment is now called?) was all about personal and family history. It's a subject that has been beaten into me with a stick this year and I think I'm finally getting "the bug". You know. It's like everybody's feet drag when it comes to family history and then, suddenly, you get bit by the bug and BAM! The job's a game!
That night I decided to participate by making a recipe in the (totally and completely awesome and priceless) cookbook that Andrea and Sharlee put together a couple of years ago. The recipe is called "burnt sugar cake" and was Grandma Orton's recipe, though it says the recipe is Great Great Grandma Catharine Kelsey Duell's favorite. Although had to redo the burnt sugar syrup 3(!) times (soiling 3 huge skillets in my tiny kitchen), burnt my fingertip with burnt sugar, and messed up the cute sweater I was wearing, not to mention spending way more time than I had that day doing so, I really enjoyed myself.
I felt like I was bonding with my grandmothers. And actually, while I was doing it, I called Grandma Harward, which I've NEVER done before (shame), so I was bonding with Grandmothers :) The cake seemed like hard work to me and it occured to me how accustomed to effort and work those pioneer women were. How I longed for a burnt sugar syrup bottle!
The cake had great potential but I didn't quite get it right. Two of the oldest ladies in the ward saw the label "burnt sugar cake" and discussed how it's an old classic and Mary used to always ask for it for birthdays. Then Mary dished some up and said, "Hmmm, it doesn't look like burnt sugar cake..."
So, it wasn't perfect. but it was fun, and lovely, by the way.
In other thoughts, here are some family middle names for melanie's consideration:
Mel, did you know that Grandma Harward's Grandma's name was Melvina Constance Schaugaard? Constance. cool.
more:
Melvina's grandmother was Ingebor. If that isn't an awesome name, I don't know what is. seriously. I might use it.
Melvina Constance's Great Great Grandmother was named Bendte Larsen and died in "Danmark" in 1727!!!
Also, unrelated to middle names, but related to pioneer women: Dad's Great grandparents, Samuel Taylor Orton and Julia Ann Johnson had 12 kids, six of whom died before they reached 6 years old. The last 4 all died in 1879 and were 5, 4, 1, and <1 year old. That is sombering and heart-breaking, BUT, thank goodness we know that families are forever and she gets to get those babies back. Wouldn't you love to turn to her for wisdom and strength in your own life? I think I would.
Okay, well, enough ramblings tonight. I love you all. I love where we came from and where we are going.
-Mard.
and for fun, a flashback moment:
when did these babies get big?!? Cadence (2) holds brand new campbell.
Cadence (3) and Campbell (16 months) spending time together.
Grandma and squishy Layla:
Sunday, February 26, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Awesome mard. I need to get the but too. Lauren is reading A Banner Is Unfearled, and so she's starting to get the but too. I loved the pictures.
ReplyDeletexo
mer, did you know you were making a potty joke? a pretty funny one, at that. it's like my favorite part of finding nemo...
ReplyDeleteExactly what I thought of, Mard! I'm glad I'm not the only one affected by living with a man.. or Finding Nemo. But yes, you should take over the family history part of the reunion, that would be great! You could make some of that cake :) Thanks for the names, too!
ReplyDeletespeaking of the bug, or the butt, I just started doing indexing- you should all try it, you can get started here https://familysearch.org/volunteer/indexing. Its a great way to find names Mel. Also its something Lauren could do.
ReplyDelete